Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A little of this and a little of that...

Well it has been a while since my last post. So I am debating how to get all the stuff rolling around in my head over the past couple of weeks on here. Do I do it in one post? Does it all tie together? Do I do it in two posts? Decisions,Decisions...


Here we go and lets see where my writing takes me....


First, I think, I want to talk about this little
guy. What a joy he is, so much like his daddy. He even has his Daddy's heart. I just love observing my kids, learning how they are wired, so that I can do all that is humanistically possible to direct and encourage them in their gifts. I had the privilege of observing Kohen this morning, and documenting this experience just makes me smile. He was helping Daddy this morning make breakfast and make me some coffee. He already has a keen understanding that Mom
my functions best when she is loved on with coffee. After he presented me with my coffee and I took my first sip, he asked "Mommy do you like your coffee?" I told him, "Absolutely buddy it is awesome, you did a great job!" And he proceeded to say "Thank you, Mommy!" He is just so polite! But as I watched him, I saw his heart to serve those that he loves. Of course he wants a little affirmation for his effort, but don't we all. And as I mentioned before, Matt is like this as well. He has the gift of quiet service, that is if I let him (read valentine's day post). I'm surrounded by boys who know how to make a woman/mommy feel special. There is not a better feeling!
Now for this boy who is growing up far to fast (pic is from first soccer season '08)! You know, as I have said before, he never ceases to amaze me. We are full swing into soccer season again, which makes Kenton very happy. Basketball taught him many great skills that have transferred over to soccer, but soccer is definitely Kenton's first love. Unfortunately, our first game was a blow out! Kenton played well, but it wasn't enough for the fancy footwork of this team. But Kenton paid attention and realized that he wasn't at the skill level of these players, so instead of being discouraged, he took it upon himself to practice! My 6 year old practiced without being told!!! One of the days, I was out in the garage watching Kenton practice on his footwork, he asked me if we were going to play the "First Team" again. I told him we were. He said, "Mommy they were good, I've got to practice hard because I don't want to them to bet us again!" Ahhh...what a moment, to see my little boy get it! You have to work hard to get better! Am I gloating yet? Now my hope is, that Kenton has watched Matt and I over the years work hard at things we are passionate about, and I would like to say that he has learned it all from us. But I know that Kenton's adopted big brother, Tony, has a lot to do with it as well. Tony has taught Kenton the ins and outs of soccer since Kenton was old enough for a ball between his feet. And Kenton has watched Tony work hard, play hard, and finally get a scholarship to college! Thank you Tony! You would be proud!


So I'm pretty sure this doesn't tie in at all, but I'm going to continue to write. If you have read my post about Lent you will know that I am working through the book of John. I've been here before, but it never ceases to amaze me how much I can continue to learn from a book I have read time and time again. Along with just reading and studying for myself, I am listening to a podcast of sermons that my pastor, Pete Briscoe, did back in 2006, on the book of John. I want to share one thing that has really impacted my thinking lately, and it comes from chapter two, when Jesus turns the water to wine. I think most of you know the story. But I want to draw your attention to what Mary told the servants (vs 5), "Do whatever he tells you." Wow, what a timely piece of advice that I never clued into before. "Do whatever he tells you," and then what happens? You will be in shock and awe of what HE does through you! Just as the servants were when they obeyed. But think about it. They had to of thought Jesus was looney to ask them to fill barrels full of water and then present it to the "banquest master" as wine! But they did it! I can only imagine their anxiety as they gave the Master the glass. They had to think they were going to be in deep trouble. But much to their surprise they really did present the "best tasting wine"! God wants to turn our water into wine! He wants to take our dull selves and makes us into sheer bliss (can you tell I like wine?). "Do whatever he tells you." I'm all in!


So lets see how creative I am. Can I tie this randomness together? Pete has talked about parenting recently, and about what we dream for our kids. My dream is that my kids get "Do whatever he tell you." That they have a sold out relationship with Jesus! That Kohen will go on and serve openly to all he comes in contact with, because that is what Jesus would do. And that Kenton would work hard to be the best he can be at what God calls him to do, because that is what God asks for: all and the best of us. I love my family. I love what I learn through them! And sometime here soon, Kenzie will get a post all to herself, because those who know her, will testify, she is going to "teach me something!".


So how did I do?


Until Next Time...

1 comment:

  1. Although I don’t share your religious enthusiasm (BTW...I didn’t know that you are so strongly into it until you started to write your blog), I do share your enthusiasm about your kids and I have to agree that Kohen is a very sweet kid (and so is Kenton and Kenzie), but there might be something very special about Kohen and how he – in a quiet and soft-spoken way – touches the persons around him. I really like that about him. He is a cool dude :)

    It is great that Tony was able to instill some interest for soccer and that Kenton tries to improve his skills. Life is all about learning from failure and mistakes after all…

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete