Friday, February 19, 2010

The Season of Lent

The Season of Lent started two days ago on Wed. Feb. 16th. Growing up, I had heard about Lent, but knew it primarily as a season Catholics observed. And it was left at that. I didn't know why, and because I was a Protestant, more specifically Baptist, I didn't bother to ask questions either. Unfortunately, it wasn't until 3 years ago, that I was educated about Lent and challenged to observe it. I learned that this Season really has substaintial meaning, and that TRUE Lent crosses all denominatial lines. You can learn more about the history of Lent here, but to quote Wikipedia, "the purpose of Lent is a preparation of the believer", more specifically, for Easter.

So what do I believe Lent looks like? I believe that it was designed to draw believes into a closer relationship with our Heavenly Father, with the climax being a rememberance of Jesus' scarifice. That wooing can look differently for different people, but I do believe it may be deeper than just giving up Chocolate for 40 days. I guess it just depends on how addicted to Chocolate you are :)

3 years ago, I committed myself to spend time in the Word and Journaling my prayers everyday. That was a very rich time that brought clarity and deepened my relationship with my Father. It also brought about "habit". Now I wish I could say that I have continued for 3 years, but the fact of the matter is: that was a season and it was a continual activity until I had 3 kids under the age of 5 in my house and there no longer was a substantial quiet stretch of time in my house. But I will say that I learned the value of Journaling, for me personally, and I have clung to it in times when I needed clarity. Fast forward to now. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am learning how to be quiet again, and my Father is drawing me back into His Living Room to sit and His feet. So, for Lent this year I am going to re-read and study the book of John in preparation for Easter, and I am also going to journal more reguarly. I can't wait to see what God does though this time and how this year's Holy Holiday (Easter) impacts me differntly than in years past. I give all of you who read this permission to ask me how this time is going and what I am learning. Just be prepared (hopefully) to get an earful :)

Now do I think everyone should observe Lent? Not necessarily. Do I think all observances of Lent should look like mine? Not at all. Prayfully consider where God is wooing you. What does He want from you over the next 40+ days? I do challenge you to be open to the Spirit and see how this Easter Season is different from all the rest!

Until Next Time...

1 comment:

  1. This is indeed a special season to reflect on what the Lord has done for us. You have challenged me to join with you in celebrating Lent. I am especially reminded of God's blessings after experiencing a special Welcome Home for Drew Culberth at church this evening. Our church along with Christians around the world have been united in prayer for the groups release during this time. If only we can continue to our fervancy for wanting our lives to be used by and for the Lord even when we are misunderstood or have to make sacrifice! (Drew also urged us to continue praying for the two who have not yet been released!)

    ReplyDelete